Thursday, March 17, 2016

Testing OWASP SeraphimDroid against nasty malware

Chapter one , 17 March 2016

With the rise of malware attacks against mobile applications, one wonders what can be done to protect them. SeraphimDroid is an OWASP project created with this purpose in mind. Its project leader, Nikola Milosevic and other brave volunteers, have created an interesting project that attempts to safeguard and protect user’s android devices against these threats.


In this battle, we will use an android device , actually my phone, (sniff) well , let me cut the drama since is a actually one I quite dislike (a ‘blu’ cheap phone my daughter is not using since she got her iphone) which will be the victim of this evil experiment against the forces of cyber evil.


The purpose of this experiment is to actually install malware and check how SeraphimDroid performs against the evil forces of some of these malware and viruses:
http://forensics.spreitzenbarth.de/android-malware/


Step one: Get SeraphimDroid

The first thing I did was follow the instructions, Go to the Google Play and download
SeraphimDroid
Ok, my first impression is that is quite scary allowing an app so much permissions to my phone ...shall I install?
However since this is a guinea pig device, lets go ahead ;-). The project has had 1K downloads and 42 persons have given a score of 4.5


Ok then the entire test, came to a stop when I got this message


So now I just wondered what happened, ssu.. su.. suuupppporrrttt!


Attempt opening many times but got the same error
Nothing else to do but contact Nikola and team and check what could have happened.


I do have another device I quite dislike (android tablet) I didn't charge it in a long time and I will attempt to install it here. Keep you posted.


2 comments:

  1. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Textile Testing Equipment

    ReplyDelete
  2. but it has negligible effect on the heat-bonded nonwoven geotextiles and woven geotextiles. martindale abrasion tester

    ReplyDelete